Year 12 students will receive sufficient information gathering opportunities, resources, experiences and career appointments through their senior whānau groups so that they are able to make informed decisions about subject selection and the transition from school to work, training or tertiary education.
Year 12 will complete much of their information gathering through whānau groups.
- Career Central online career exploration and planning tool
- Subject selection with senior staff members completed on an individual basis.
- Individual career appointments – Year 12.
- Gateway Programme – structured workplace learning with unit standard assessment.
- Liaison visits from various institutions – Universities and Polytechnics.
- Modern apprenticeships presentations.
- Careers Website – www.careers.govt.nz
- Career Point – 0800 222 733.
- My Career – Careers Quest
- Careers Roadshow.
- Careers Expo – Rotorua and Taupo.
- JET Resources – Jobs, Education, Training resource.
- Vocational pathways presentations.
Students in Years 12 will benefit from the Career Programme offered in the following ways:
- Identify their own vocational interest areas and personal attributes required for these.
- Have a clear personal career plan with goals.
- Develop a strategy aimed at achieving these goals. Prepare an action plan.
- Be prepared through subject selection with senior staff and knowledge of entry requirements to achieve these goals.
- Explore thoroughly career pathways and training opportunities for them as individuals.
- Have knowledge of the world of work they will be entering and projected change in the labour market.
- Know which information sources are reliable, up to date and available to them.
Useful Resources for Students, Parents and Caregivers
Mr Alan Leatham – Careers Advisor
Ms Hilary Graham – Guidance Counsellor
Career website at www.careers.govt.nz
Career Quest – networked through computer suites and learning resource centre
Career Point – 0800 222 733
Occupation Outlook – free app
NCEA Pal – free app
Student Centre – careers information and displays
Mrs Thomsen – Gateway Administrator
Career Central online career exploration and planning tool
MyBlueprint – app – NCEA credits, diary and year planner