Careers guidance at Taupo-nui-a-Tia College will offer sufficient information, resources, units and qualified personnel through the Year 11 whānau Group programme for a student to make appropriate career decisions. Through goal setting and information gathering, students will prepare a career plan. This is an ongoing process for the students through Years 12 and 13 also. All Year 11 students will complete a CV.
Year 11 life skills classes will cover these elements of career guidance:
- Self-Awareness – Years 9 and 10 units revisited.
- Options in training and tertiary institutions.
- Decision-making and goal setting.
- Career Central online career exploration and planning tool
- My Career – Careers New Zealand tool.
- Careers Website – www.careerservices.govt.nz
- Possible Gateway placement – structured workplace learning with unit standard assessments.
- Careers appointments.
- Subject selection with senior staff in Term 3 – completed on an individual basis.
- Courses and careers magazine
- Careers Roadshow
- JET Resources – Jobs, Education, Training resource
Students will benefit in these ways from the Careers programme offered in Year 11:
- Increased awareness of own personal attributes, interests, values and abilities.
- Develop a knowledge base of the entry requirements required for various careers.
- Learn about pathways to training.
- Explore different career areas.
- Develop knowledge of Tertiary Institutions and what qualifications they offer.
- Investigate a range of occupations through the Kiwicareers Website and Career Quest programme.
- Know what subjects are required for careers they are interested in.
- Be able to use a range of resources (information and human) in clarifying career goals.
Useful Resources for Students, Parents and Caregivers
Mr Alan Leathem – Careers Advisor
Ms Hilary Graham – Guidance Counsellor
Careers NZ – www.careers.govt.nz
NCEA Pal – free app
Occupation Outlook – free app
Student Centre – Careers information and displays
Mrs Thomsen – Gateway Administrator.
MyBlueprint app – NCEA credits, diary and career planner.